|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
COUNTY: Clay County
LOCATION DETAILS: This road passes from Interstate 10 to Hwy 21.
NEAREST TOWN: Middleburg
NEAREST ROAD: Brannanfield-Chaffee Rd.
OBSERVED: The following is the account of my student, identified below. He is with me as I type this. He does not have a computer, so I therefore am making this report for him. I am his high school biology teacher.
"We (4 of us) were riding in a pickup truck on a dirt road on my grandfather's property. That portion of the property is planted pine flatwoods with little undergrowth other than native grass. Three of us were in the back of the pickup, looking for deer with a spotlight. We were traveling about 10 mph. The person with the spotlight swept the light across the side of the road, and all 3 of us that were in the back of the truck saw this creature standing about 25 feet from us, and back off the road in the trees. It was just standing there looking at us. The light swept across the creature, and all three of us saw it and yelled or said something. The light was on it a second or two. We immediately backed up and with the light looked again but could no longer see it creature. It was gone. We were all very excited asked each other what it was, but confirmed that we had all see the same thing. Here is what we saw:
It was about 8-9 feet tall, and covered with long dark fur. There were no ears on the head, but it's eyes shown yellow in the light and the sholders appeared like a football player's. His belly stuck out to the sides a bit, like he was thicker in that area. His arms were long and appeard to hang nearly to his knees.
When we backed up to see him again, he was already gone, but we all noticed a really foul smell, that I would describe as similar to a sour hog. We were all fairly scared, and immediately left the area.
OTHER WITNESSES: There were 2 other witnesses; my older brother, and our friend. We were all in the back of the pickup truck, watching for deer in the spotlight, as we swept the light around the roadside.
OTHER STORIES: [Teacher writes] To my knowledge, there have been several sightings of a similar creature in Clay County. I also make it a point to ask my students every year, when I am covering cryptozoology, if they or anyone in their family has ever seen anything similar. I usually get a few students each year who describe a sighting incident in Clay County that a family member has told them.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: This was at night, and the creature was seen in our spotlight as we shined for deer.
ENVIRONMENT: Planted pine flatwoods.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Caroline Curtis:
Hat's off to a teacher that asks his students if they, or anyone they know, has seen one of these animals. That does not happen very often.
I spoke with the teacher and the student/witness on the phone. The student had a very brief sighting but is sure of the following:
- It was covered in hair.
- The hair color was black.
- The arms hung away from the body and were almost to the knees.
- Its shoulders were wide and its middle section stuck out to the sides a bit.
- Its eyes were yellow when reflected in the light.
- The height of 8 - 9 foot tall was determined after going back to the location and measuring the tree limbs that it stood next to.
- There was an odor, similar to a sour hog.
This location has since been logged, making room for housing developments.
About BFRO Investigator Caroline Curtis:
- Worked as an Assistant to a Circuit Court Judge in Florida for thirteen years
- An avid outdoorswoman, growing up in the UP of Michigan on a family-owned fishing and hunting resort. Currently lives in the Hiawatha National Forest
- Certified Visual Tracker, Level 1
- Attended and assisted with numerous public and private BFRO expeditions
- She and the Florida BFRO organized South Florida Expedition 2008, North Florida Expedition 2008 and Central Florida Expedition in 2009.
- She and the Michigan BFRO organized the Lower-Michigan Expedition in 2011, Michigan UP Expeditions in 2012, 2013 and 2015. She will be co-organizing the 2016 Michigan UP Expedition in October.