|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
COUNTY: Madison County
LOCATION DETAILS: A few miles south of the intersection of Interstate 55 and Illinois Route 4. Heavily forested area.
NEAREST TOWN: Hamel
NEAREST ROAD: Illinois Route 4
OBSERVED: I was going North on Illinois Route 4, and while passing through a wooded area on my left, I spotted a large, bulky upright figure. Because I was driving, I was only able to get a second or two view of whatever the figure may have been. It was an orange color, which is why it stood out to me in the first place.
ALSO NOTICED: No
OTHER WITNESSES: None besides me, though the person in the car behind me might have seen it.
OTHER STORIES: No
TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was an overcast, around 1:00 in the afternoon.
ENVIRONMENT: Forest, seemed like there was a lot of water in the area. Lots of ice around on the forest floor.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
I spoke with the witness by phone. I visited the site the next day and again several days later. I was unable to find any footprints or other evidence.
- The animal was standing about 50 feet from the roadway.
- The animal was between 8 and 8 1/2 feet tall.
- The animal was very thick and broad.
- Shoulder width was between 3 and 3 1/2 feet.
- The witness was unable to see the face.
- The fur was orangish, reminiscent of an orangutan's color.
- The witness did not stop because the right-of-way is not sufficient for safe parking.
About BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
Stan Courtney has a special interest in wildlife audio recording. He has attended numerous BFRO Expeditions. See Stan's blog StanCourtney.com for recordings he has collected over the years.
Stan Courtney can be reached at email@example.com