|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
YEAR: '91 or'92
LOCATION DETAILS: North on Onion Lake Road to Onion Lake Dam Rd.
NEAREST TOWN: Thunder Bay
NEAREST ROAD: Onion Lake Dam Rd.
OBSERVED: In the early 90's, maybe 1991 or 1992, I was living in a small house on Onion Lake Dam Rd., north of Thunder Bay by about 15 minutes. There was another house on the property that I could see from my little house, where the landlord and his wife lived. One night, I was sewing and had the TV on for noise, it was quite loud. I noticed that my golden retriever has his ears back, with the whites of his eyes showing, so I turned down the television, and heard a loud screeching sound, from quite close to the house. I must say, it was something I had never heard before, and I have lived in NW Ontario most of my life. Quite frankly, it scared me a bit, and I am not one that scares easily. I convinced myself that it was a screech owl, although I am not sure if that is something found in this area.
A number of months later, (it was winter and very cold) I noticed that my bathroom sink and toilet were fine, but the tub and kitchen sink were not draining. So I mentioned this to my landlord, who went under the house (it apparently was a crawl space, I had never been under there) and discovered that all the earth had been moved from one side of the crawl space and piled up on the other side, touching some of the pipes, hence they froze up. He asked me if I had been under the house, and I said no, joking that it must have been "the little people".
Shortly after this I moved from this area up to Armstrong, and didn't think about it again for years. Now I am wondering if what I heard might not have been a screech owl.......
I don't know if the incident with the pipes is related, probably not, but did want to pass on this info.
ALSO NOTICED: Never looked, was too spooked to go out and check, especially given my dog's nervous reaction.
OTHER WITNESSES: Just me and my dog, don't know if the landlord heard it, and never asked. Convinced myself it was a screech owl.
OTHER STORIES: no, never heard about anything like this around here, but there's an awful lot of bush up here...
TIME AND CONDITIONS: night time, between 10 and midnight, close as I can recall, was dark out and it doesn't get dark here until after 10:30 at that time of year. Warm and clear night.
ENVIRONMENT: Private property, on the Current River, boreal forest and Canadian Shield features
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Todd Prescott:
Spoke with witness July 11, 2010. The following details were forthcoming:
- the vocalization that was heard was not continuous, lasting for approx 4 minutes with intervals of as much as 40 seconds of sound with approx 20 second pauses.
- the vocalizations were very close as if its maker was just outside the house
- resembled a baby crying (high-pitch shriek) but was still different
- reportee listened to screech owl, bobcat, lynx and cougar (mountain lion) sounds to compare - none of which sounded like what was heard, but reportee stated that the animal that most resembled what was heard was the bobcat sound which was not as drawn out or shrill
- reportee stated that the vocalizations that were heard did not match any purported bigfoot sounds heard online
- reportee couldn't pin down the year, but is quite certain it was 1991 or 1992 in the month of August
More details regarding the dirt/earth removal:
- reportee did not see the area, but landlord stated that it was a lot of dirt that had been moved and piled up very neatly
- wood had been placed under the house where the dig occurred as if something had made a bed to keep dry from the damp ground
- landlord was perplexed as to what may have done the excavation and placed the wood boards there
After speaking with the witness I believe her to be credible. She has lived in Northern Ontario all her life - hunting, trapping, etc. She is very familiar with local wildlife and the sounds they make.
About BFRO Investigator Todd Prescott:
Todd Prescott, B.Ed, B.Mus, has been researching the subject of bigfoot for well over 20 years Todd attended the 2006 and 2008 B.C. Coastal Expeditions, 2008 and 2011 Pennsylvania Expedition, 2010 Pennsylvania Mini Expeditions, the 2007 Ontario Expedition and he hosted the Ontario 2009 Expedition. His research has taken him as far as Alaska to PA, Northern Ontario to BC, including a 2-week solo expedition throughout the Bella Coola (B.C.) region. In 2012, 2013, and 2014, Todd had the honor and privilege of spending many days/nights with Mr. John Green in BC where he was granted permission to peruse Mr. Green's extensive files dating back to 1957. Todd also had the unique experience of researching with Mr. Green near Harrison Hot Springs one evening. Currently, he is working on several books pertaining to the subject of sasquatch.