|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
PROVINCE: British Columbia
LOCATION DETAILS: Well traveled small lake - a fishing area
NEAREST TOWN: Port Alberni
NEAREST ROAD: Elsie Lake Logging road
OBSERVED: I was out camping on Vancouver Island near the Strathcona Park on the Port Alberni side of the mid mountain range of the island. Just before dark I heard a loud crashing noise coming up the creek towards my camp, the first such noise I had heard in 3 weeks of camping.
I thought it was a bear. I didn't have my rifle with me so I made a lot of noise, banging pots and pans together. The "bear" went away.
In about 10 minutes or so a loud drawn out scream of came from across the lake.
I've been a woods man all of my life. I'm 54 and was 51 at the time. I am familiar with the various animals on the Island, and what they sound like. I have never heard that sound before or since.
OTHER WITNESSES: I was alone that day
OTHER STORIES: Many from the local loggers.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: Twilight, clear and cold
ENVIRONMENT: High Alpine Forest heavy bush
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Blaine McMillan :
From a conversation with the witness I can add the following information:
He had been out camping for several weeks. He has camped in these mountains before. He's familiar with the sounds of the local (known) wildlife.
When he began banging his cooking pots to scare it away, the crashing sounds were less than 100 yards away.
About BFRO Investigator Blaine McMillan :
- Retired Canadian Military (Reg Force) Safety Systems / Aviation technician with experience on CF-101 Voodoo, CT-133 Silverstar and various SAR platforms including CC-115 Buffalo and CC-130 Hercules.
- Married with two young sons. An avid camper, hunter and fisherman.
- Holds a BA in Criminology from the University of Manitoba, courses in Alternate Dispute Resolution, Anthropology and Political Science
- Attended the BFRO BC Expeditions in August of 2005, 2006, 2012 as well as Vancouver Island 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Organized the 2007, 2008 Vancouver Island as well as 2009 North Vancouver Island Expeditions.
- Author of "Woodknocks and Tossed Rocks: Searching for Sasquatch with the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization.