|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
DATE: Week day.
STATE: North Carolina
COUNTY: Haywood County
LOCATION DETAILS: Take 19W out of Maggie Valley. Turn Right on top of mountain towards Blue Ridge Parkway. Turn left on Parkway towards Cherokee. Past first pull-off to the left turn right on Balsam Mountain Road Also known as Heintooga Ridge Rd. Towards Mason Monument. Before Monument there is a pull-off to the right where we were. Just before that there is a pull-off to the left and the woods to the left of that is where the knock came from.
NEAREST TOWN: Maggie Valley
NEAREST ROAD: Balsom Mountaon Road.
OBSERVED: Barb and I travel the road off the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Heintooga trail several times a week when it is open. We are flower & wildlife junkies. Apprpx one year ago we were at the pull-off just before the Masonic Marker looking at Fire Pink flowers when out of the blue there were three tree-knocks from across the road. Very loud & distinctive. There was no one else around whatsoever. No wind either. We have noticed rocks that have "fallen" down the mountain & landed on the roadway but no sign of where they had come from also. Thanks, C.Z.
OTHER WITNESSES: No.
OTHER STORIES: Yes. Just an article in the Ashevegas Hotsheet "The sighting occurred after sunset May 30 near the Masonic Marker at Balsam Gap Camp, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Maggie Valley, according to the report. (Check out a WNC Magazine feature about the obscure, fascinating marker.) “It was getting very cold so we got into the car, cranked the car up and started to back up and leave when a very dark large figure ran across the road into the woods. It looked man like,” according to the eyewitness. “The hairs on my arm and back of my neck stood up straight I have never in my life been so afraid.”
TIME AND CONDITIONS: Broad daylight. Perfect weather. No wind. App. 1:00 pm.
About BFRO Investigator Matthew Moneymaker:
Matthew Moneymaker is originally from the Los Feliz District of Los Angeles, California.
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Founder of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization,1995.
- Writer and co-producer of the Discovery Channel documentary "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science", 2001.
- Co-producer of the TV Series "Mysterious Encounters" for the Outdoor Life Network (OLN Channel), 2002.
- Producer of the "2003 International Bigfoot Symposium" (Willow Creek Symposium) DVD set, 2004.
- Co-host of "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet Channel, 2010 - 2017.
- Current Director of the BFRO