BFRO Home Reports Database New Report Additions FAQs
Media Articles Hypotheses & Projects About the BFRO
Geographical Index > United States > Maryland > Harford County > Report # 31814
Report # 31814  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Friday, January 6, 2012.
Memories told of several incidents including an observation through a rifle scope while target practicing outside Street

YEAR: 1993


MONTH: September

DATE: 15

STATE: Maryland

COUNTY: Harford County

LOCATION DETAILS: Rte 543 right on Taylor Rd


NEAREST ROAD: Taylor Road and Rte. 543

OBSERVED: First of all this is the first time I have ever come forward in writing about this incident(s) that took place approximately 18-19 years ago.

Myself, my Uncle and a few hunting buddies frequented a 68 acre parcel of land in Street, MD. One day we were conducting target practice (sighting in our guns) for the upcoming hunting season. It was a warm, sunny day and off in the distance one of us noticed movement in a wooded area across Broad Creek. It appeared that there was a large dark silhouette walking back and forth in the foliage. Every time it walked back and forth it would stop and grab a hold of a large tree and began to shake it. Keep in mind this was a calm warm day and no other trees were moving because there was no wind. I thought it was very unusual behavior and must have taken an enormous amount of strength to be able to shake a tree of this size. I peered through my 4 X rifle scope to examine the object more closely and observed it to walk upright and was covered with dark brownish hair. Its head was large and I could only observe the upper half of the body. When it turned, its arms appeared to be long and muscular and I could see that its back was very muscular too and had a "V" shape to it, which led me to believe that this was no bear. It seemed to be agitated that we were there. After about 15-20 minutes of watching it we decided to leave and never spoke of the incident again.

Additional things: In October just after dusk that same year on the same parcel of property my uncle was walking from the the dirt road area through a grassy area down a hill to the barn. I heard him yell and call out to me. I came running thinking he had fell down and I observed him on the ground with his tools scattered all over the ground. I smelled a horrible pungent odor, heard heavy breathing and large foot steps coming from the near by wooded area. It was dark and I could not see anything and I got an eerie feeling of being watched. I got my uncle up off the ground and he told me as he was walking down the grassy trail, he heard long loud foot steps coming up from behind him.

Thinking it was one of us playing a prank on him, he braced himself for one of us to jump on his back, however whatever hit him from behind knocked him with such force, he feel forward to the ground causing him to drop his tool box. He said whatever hit him ran into the woods and was grunting and walking back and forth. We both got flash lights and tried to look in the wooded area where we heard the heavy breathing but did not see anything but heard what sounded like bipedal footsteps go down the large decline and cross the creek at the bottom.

I am a trained observer and can only tell you what I saw.

OTHER WITNESSES: 1st incident 3-4 witnesses we were sighting in our guns for hunting.
2nd incident 2 winesses we were working at the farm on some machinery.

OTHER STORIES: I heard that the property owner at the time was chased through the woods by something that scared him.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: 1st incident was in the afternoon. 2nd incident was after dusk.

ENVIRONMENT: wooded with some steep hills

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator D.K.:

After emailing and calling the witness, the following information can be added to his report:

At the time of his sighting, the witness was a young man. Today he is a police officer.

The creature was approximately 100 yards distant from the witness and the others in his party. It stood upright but its full height was difficult to gauge accurately, as only the upper half of its body was visible through the brush. The witness estimates the upper half of the body at 4 to 5 feet tall.

The creature's strength was incredible. It repeatedly shook a thick tree, 40 to 50 feet tall, effortlessly. Through his rifle scope, the creatures muscles were clearly visible through its dark hair. The V shaped back of the creature convinced the witness that he was not looking at a bear, but something similar to a human in form.

Despite the the amount of time that has passed since these events, the witness has remained fascinated by them and still seeks answers to what he encountered. In his words the events were "magnificent and scary" and have affected his life.

The witness's uncle, who was present at the tree shaking incident above, was available for interview, and in a separate phone conversation a history of other events from this location came to light, including:

The first suspicious incident at that farm occurred in the years before the encounter described above. On that occasion, the landowner's wife was alone in their mobile home trailer when something outside began furiously shaking the trailer. The wife was so frightened by the event that she called her husband at work and asked him to come home. Despite this event occurring during daylight hours, the wife did not see what was outside shaking the trailer.

Some time later, while deer hunting in the woods on the opposite side of the creek from the barn and home, the uncle heard loud, bipedal foot steps approaching his position through the woods. They stopped 30 yards away in heavy cover, and then tree shaking and loud grunts began to emerge from that location. The uncle stood up and began walking back toward the house, and soon heard the footsteps following behind him. He started to jog and the following steps began to pick up speed. He finally broke into a run and the footsteps became even faster. He ran back through the creek (foregoing the small footbridge as too slow) and ran uphill toward the farm's barn. He could hear his pursuer run through the creek behind him, but when he arrived at the barn the follower had stopped. The uncle immediately related his story to the landowner, who replied that he too, and one other person, had both been chased from those woods in the same manner, on separate occasions.

On a separate occasion, at a bridge just down stream of the farm, the uncle was with his girlfriend when a thirty foot tall tree on the opposite shore began shaking. Tall underbrush obscured what was causing the shaking, but the uncle knew by that time he should vacate the area, and he did.

While bow hunting the same property, the uncle relates one hunt where he was repeatedly pelted with acorns. He assumed it was a squirrel but could not find one in the trees above him. The acorns came about once every 10 minutes, and were very accurate.

Regarding the incident where the uncle was knocked to the ground, he personally related the details of the event as follows:

He, his nephew (the original witness) and two friends had been working on his car's transmission. When he completed his work he walked down hill in the dark to return his tools to the barn.

Hearing loud, bipedal foot steps approaching quickly from behind he assumed one of his friends from back at the car was about to jump on his back in horseplay. He braced himself and then felt a large, impact on the upper right quadrant of his back.

The object that hit him felt like an upper arm, possibly the length between the shoulder and elbow. There was no solid impact point, like a bony joint, stick or fist might inflict, but a large distributed blow spread out across that area of his back.

The impact was so strong that it spun him around and knocked him flat to the ground. His wind was knocked out and his tools flew all over the area around him. He could hear whatever it was that struck him continue running quickly by and into the woods beyond.

The uncle was immediately enraged, assuming it was one of his friends who had struck him so hard. He yelled loudly and asked what they were up to. But the other three persons were still standing up by the car and had not seen what it was that knocked the uncle down.

They went to the uncle's aid and as described in the original report above, they could all clearly hear something large moving in the darkened woods nearby, breaking branches and grunting loudly in an agitated manner. A pungent odor hung in the air and with time the sounds of movement drew away into the distance until they could no longer be heard.

After this, the witness, his uncle and the land owner could occasionally tell when the creature was in the area. At times the wind would carry the creature's scent to them, so they assumed it was somewhere nearby, possibly watching their activities.

The activity at this farm would occur annually, during the months of September, October and November. This suggests the creature may have moved through the area in what might be part of a much larger home range. Among the final points the uncle shared in his interview is the fact that he remains friends with the current landowner, and that the landowner told him of seeing the creature himself, in the years since 1993.

About BFRO Investigator D.K.:

D.K. is a business executive with an MS in Systems Engineering. Formerly a linguistic analyst, he applies his knowledge to the collection and study of sasquatch vocals and communication patterns. BFRO expeditions attended: Tennessee 2010, Pennsylvania 2011, Ohio 2012, West Virginia 2012 & West Virginia 2013