BFRO Home Reports Database New Report Additions FAQs
Media Articles Hypotheses & Projects About the BFRO
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Lewis County > Report # 47107
Report # 47107  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, November 18, 2014.
Hunter is confronted when he tries to shoot a deer near Winlock

YEAR: 2012


MONTH: November

DATE: 18

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Lewis County

LOCATION DETAILS: This site needs to be protected since folks that live in that area don't want extra traffic.


NEAREST ROAD: Edited by the investigator to protect the location.

OBSERVED: This witness sent in two reports, the reports have been combined. (Investigator)
First report:
Growl/howl heard today 16 Nov 2014 while hunting outside Winlock Washington at 2:42pm.
While hunting, I heard yelling mixed with a growl/scream within 200 yards of my hunting location. This is the same area three of us heard the same thing in November 2012.
This time, within minutes, I was upwind from the screams, then I recorded the sound of trees breaking and the sound of foot steps "Pounding" the ground. It got closer then I got the Heck out of there. What few deer I did see, RAN fast away as soon as the screams began.
I have a long history in investigations, and know EXACTLY what I heard, minute by minute. I will take a group of your investigators out to the exact location, and show you the location on a GPS map.
PLEASE contact me!! This was too much.

Second report:
Sent a report on 16 Nov 2014 about a encounter while hunting outside Winlock Wa. Went back out to look for physical evidence of my first encounter. What happened next spooked me very bad, making me somewhat sick to my stomach. As I follow a wide trail into the thick tree growth, I heard noise to my right, some distance below me. I stopped, listened, and began to pull my digital recorder out while holding my digital video camera. I never got the chance to turn on either. Within seconds, to my right I watched the top of the pine trees (15-20 feet tall) shake violently. Followed by the loudest, harshest scream I NEVER want to hear EVER again.
Only other thing I saw were suspicious tree breaks, unknown if human made although, there in a untraveled area of the forest on the perimeter of the clear cut.

ALSO NOTICED: Cattle were huddled in the Far Northern corner of the pasture following the screams as far away as they could get.

OTHER WITNESSES: Yes, two on my first contact in 2012

OTHER STORIES: Sounds only

TIME AND CONDITIONS: The conditions in the area were: Dry, temp. 19 degrees, thin clouds, No wind, heavy frost on the ground.

ENVIRONMENT: Heavy pine forest surrounding 5 years old clear cuts. At the lower valley there are 4 swamp areas covering perhaps 2 acres with a creek running thru the swamps.a ridge overlooking that valley to the NW and SE. No nearby structures in the contact area. It has been closed to vehicles for about 10 years.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

I know this witness from a report that was phoned in to the BFRO. He did not wish to file a report at that time. He is law-enforcement, and does not want his name or picture published.

This witness filed two recent reports in November 2014. I followed-up with a phone call and we discussed his encounters. We arranged to meet at a location just off Interstate 5 at the south end of Chehalis on December 7th. After meeting up with this witness, we followed him to the location. We parked at the same location where the witness had parked on his two reported encounters. There is a locked gate there. We grabbed our packs and followed the witness down into the clear-cut to the place where the first report happened. He pointed out the log he had been sitting on. The vegetation is 10-15 year old fir trees, blackberry and scotch-broom.

He said that three blacktail deer were walking up the logging road, and that one was a legal buck. He was about the shoot the buck when he heard the screaming as he reported. The creature was also shaking the fir trees violently. This was only about 20 yards in front of where he was sitting. The deer ran away, and he decided to leave. The next day, he went back to the site to see if there were any evidence. There are many wide game trails through the brush. He was on one of these trails, when something screamed at him. Being very frightened, he decided it was time to leave the area as fast as he could.

We continued walking down the logging road past where his encounters occurred. When we got to the bottom of the clear-cut area we found ourselves near a creek that was flowing westward to a swampy area. The road turned from a generally south direction to a westerly track that swept in a gradual curve to the north. This road followed along the creek and swamp and then back out to the main road. The witness mentioned feeling odd every time they came near the creek bottom. We followed the road exploring the area until we intersected an old road that cut southwest through the swamp. Due to high water, we did not try to cross. We did find three sword fern fronds on the road that were arranged in the form of a “W”. This seemed odd, and similar to stick arrangements that we have observed in other places. It was not natural. About this time, my colleague, Susan, heard what sounded like a tree get pushed over about 100 yards away to the east of where we were standing. The witness and I were talking, and surprisingly did not hear it. We then continued walking ending up at the main road. We followed the main road back to our vehicles.

This photo shows the “W” created by sword fern fronds

A week later, I went back to that same clear-cut. There was a lot of deer sign when we were there before, and it was the last day of archery deer season in this area, so I thought I would hunt there. Parking at the same location as the week before, I grabbed my bow and pack and headed off past the gate, and down into the clear cut. It was an hour before daylight. As I was walking along in the dark, I stopped to listen. I heard what I call the “Old man cry” from down in the creek bottom several times. It sounds like a drawn-out “Heyyyyy”. I have heard what I believe to be sasquatches making this vocalization before. About mid-day, I returned to my vehicle for lunch, when the witness returned with his grown son. They were going to go grouse hunting. I left them to the area, and went elsewhere.

Then on January 7th I received this e-mail:


I want to tell you that I am Very EXCITED. This last week, I went out to the Swamp to "try" gifting. As you know EVERYTIME I go out there, I wear the same clothes, and do everything I've done the trip prior. This last visit, I got down to the corner at the bottom of the hill at the top of the swamp where I heard a noise in the tree line to my left. It confused me some because what I heard was a soft "excited" sounding grunting sound. I stood there for about 5 minutes doing a soft whistle like I do each time I get there.
This is where it excites me. Behind two large trees next to the trail leading into the upper swamp, a 6' tall, brownish-red Bigfoot moved out from behind the two trees. It stood there looking at me. It didn't expose it's entire body, but half of itself. I actually got myself to talk to it. (I felt Crazy and a bit scared doing it).
The contact was less than 10 seconds, but WOW..........
It moved back into the hillside as I began to walk again. As I got to the thicket area where we walked in near the swamp, I stood there again listening to what I thought was 2, maybe 3 others on the South side of the swamp. It was getting late...(4:00pm ) I started to walk to XXX road when I heard a loud Grunt, turned to see 4 Bigfoot. (on the trail across the water where we saw the Fern on the road).
I'm going to go back to the swamp on Saturday, 17 Jan. This time I'm bringing a camera that I know how to use as well as my HD Video camera with Tripod. I'd like to know if you'd like to meet me there. I'm thinking of being there by 8:00am.

Let me know if your interested


After hearing of his very interesting sightings, we agreed to meet the weekend of January 17th at the site and go down there together. I asked him if Susan and I could go there earlier. He said that he was out of town the next weekend, and could meet the following weekend.

The weekend of January 10th Susan and I returned to follow-up. Arriving early in the morning just after first light, Susan and I hiked down to the creek bottom. We found a place near a large cedar tree to sit on the side of the road. We sat there with my video recorder recording the scene in front of us, and my audio recorder running. We played music from my cell phone to see if that would make any near-by sasquatches interested in what we were doing there. We stayed for about an hour, and then left some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on a plastic plate in a sheltered area under a cedar tree which was not visible from the road. We documented the scene photographically. Then we continued on down the road, following the swamp to a finger of trees and high ground that extended into the swamp. Here, we sat for a half an hour and again played music while my camera recorded the scene in front of us. We also left some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at this location. We then hiked back to the main road.

A week later, I went back to the location to check on the sandwiches. The witness ended up not being able to go along. At the first location, the sandwiches were all gone. Every trace and crumb. The plate had been moved to the side by wind or whatever took the sandwiches. The plate was undamaged, except for two small holes. There were no signs of fingerprints on it. There were no crumbs or pieces left. At this point it seems possible that they were taken by a sasquatch, but there is no-way to know for sure without further evidence. Sasquatches normally leave a gifting site neat and tidy, where-as animals make a mess. Also, as soon as I arrived at this location, there were three rock-knocks just to the west of me. I sat there for about 45 minutes in the rain, and let my video recorder record the scene in front of me. I again played music. The same selection as before. When I got up to leave, I moved positions about 15 feet to put on my gear. At this time, something large moved in the trees to the north of me, which would be behind where I was sitting. Whatever it was changed position twice. I could not see what it was. I pretended not to notice.

I then went to check the other gifting site. At this location, the sandwiches had not been taken. No animals disturbed them either. They were just mush on the plate.

On January 22nd, Susan and I again went back to the first gifting site. This time, rather than going in the early morning, we walked down in the dark after sunset. The sandwiches had obviously been taken by some sort of animal, as there were bits and pieces all around the plate. The peanut butter jar had been moved to the side, and not tampered with. This time, we left the sandwiches hanging in a tree at the end of a dead limb. We photographed the scene and then returned to our vehicle. The night was quiet.

On Saturday, January 31st, I again met the witness and a friend of his at the gate. At this time, they told me that they were there the evening before, and were growled-at by something off to the side of the road not far from where the initial encounter. It was enough to make them leave. We hiked down the logging road to the bottom, followed the creek to the swamp, and then down to where the old road cuts across the swamp. This is where the witness saw the four sasquatches three weeks before. He pointed out where he was, and where the sasquatches were. They were only about 30 yards away from him. He said that they were all reddish-brown and had dark skin. At this location, we found a track on the road, which were more visible to the eye than in a photo. We photographed this track. It should be noted that the road is very hard-packed. We then crossed the creek, and the swamp. At the far side of the swamp, we found a track-line of what could be a young sasquatch. They were human size, appeared to be barefoot, and had a distance of about 30 inches between steps. One track in particular was very clear. I did not have any casting materials with me as my back does not do well carrying it anymore. We did take photographs. Further on, we explored some larger second-growth trees, and found a stick structure that was very old, but definitely woven together. It did not look like natural stick falls.

As we were returning to the gate, I asked where the witness had seen the single sasquatch that looked at him from behind the tree. He showed me the exact tree, or rather, group of trees. Interestingly the moss was missing from a patch on the same side of the tree where the creature was standing. The witness estimates its height at 7 feet. The color was reddish-brown, and the facial skin was dark. I photographed the scene, and then standing where the sasquatch was, I had the witness walk to where he was standing. It seemed to me to be about 75 yards away.

The photos below are from this trip.

This photo is of what appears to be a footprint on the road.

This photo is the smaller, but barefoot track coming out of the swamp onto the muddy ATV trail

This photo is the old stick structure.

This is the location where the sasquatch was standing when it stepped out from behind the tree. Note the missing moss.

This is the view that the sasquatch would have had of the witness as he walked down the road. Note the blue figure in the center. This is where the witness was approximately standing

Based on several trips to the location, finding evidence of sasquatch activity, and having some events that are consistent with sasquatch activity in other locations, I believe that this witness did have several encounters with sasquatches. This area has become a site for on-going research.

About BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

Scott Taylor is a retired aerospace manager. He lives in Mason County, Washington. He had his first bigfoot encounter in October 2005 where he was stalked and later heard vocalizations. He attended official BFRO Expeditions in the Washington Cascades in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He also attended the 2007 BFRO Expedition in the central Oregon Cascades and the 2007 Utah Expedition in the Uinta's. He attended the 2008 and 2009 Olympic Peninsula Expeditions and co-lead the 2013 Expedition. He has participated in numerous speaking engagements over the past 17 years.