|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
COUNTY: Rockbridge County
LOCATION DETAILS: A cabin, located off Little Dry Hollow Rd. (A gravel Road), about 25 minutes southwest of Lexington, VA. Situated about 5 miles south of Big House Mountain.
[Investigator Note: Approx howl location:
NEAREST TOWN: Collierstown, VA or Lexington, VA
NEAREST ROAD: Little Dry Hollow Rd.
OBSERVED: I live about 3 miles west of Collierstown, VA, in the heart of the Appalachians. Around 7pm yesterday evening, 1/9/2021, I went out on my porch to listen to coyotes (which I hear some nights), and about a minute after the coyotes stopped I hear a very high pitched wail or moan that was in three intervals, each with higher pitched succession, coming from the next mountain ridge to my east. The tone, and duration of the wail or moan, was unlike anything I have every heard, and sounded out of place. It did not sound like the normal coyote sounds. It was very strange and made the hair on my arms stand up. I live in a very remote region of the Appalachians, about 15 miles southwest of Lexington, VA. I am an avid outdoorsman and an expert with most animal sounds in the region. I could not identify this sound.
ALSO NOTICED: The sound I heard was high a high pitched wail or moan, that was in three intervals, each in succession and each in a slightly higher tone.
OTHER WITNESSES: No other witnesses
OTHER STORIES: Never heard a sound like this before. It occurred about a minute after the coyotes stopped barking/howling. It was a stand alone sound.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: Around 7pm. It just after last light.
ENVIRONMENT: Clear, cold.
About BFRO Investigator Matthew Moneymaker:
Matthew Moneymaker is originally from the Los Feliz District of Los Angeles, California.
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Founder of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization,1995.
- Writer and co-producer of the Discovery Channel documentary "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science", 2001.
- Co-producer of the TV Series "Mysterious Encounters" for the Outdoor Life Network (OLN Channel), 2002.
- Producer of the "2003 International Bigfoot Symposium" (Willow Creek Symposium) DVD set, 2004.
- Co-host of "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet Channel, 2010 - 2017.
- Current Director of the BFRO