|BFRO Home||Reports Database||New Report Additions||FAQs|
|Media Articles||Hypotheses & Projects||About the BFRO|
STATE: New Mexico
COUNTY: McKinley County
LOCATION DETAILS: about 10 miles southeast of crowpoint nm on highway # 9 i belive it a bia road
NEAREST TOWN: Borrego pass nm
NEAREST ROAD: county road 19
OBSERVED: I was traveling southeast from crownpoint nm, on the eastern part of the Navajo Reservation. i was headed home as i was going through a small canyon (pass) in the head lights of the vehicle i observed a animal traveling east to west across the high way, it appears to about 6ft. tall and big, it was walking on two legs and went into a small gully i pulled the vehicle around and shine the light up the gully and i could not relocate the animal. due to the darkness and only seeing it through the head lights i could not make out the hair color it appeared dark.
i know the differents between deer and other animals and it was not one of them, i could not explain what i've seen.
OTHER WITNESSES: only I witnessed the sighting.
OTHER STORIES: No, none that I know of.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: it was dark, it was windy and it was 9:00 p.m.
ENVIRONMENT: dry, sand stone canyons some oak,pinion,and ceder trees forest.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Eddie Flores:
Spoke to witness and added the following:
- The animal was seen at a distance of about 100 ft or less with the hi-beams on.
- The animal was in sight for about 3-4 seconds.
- Witness pulled over and positioned his truck to look into the gully.
- Witness could hear rocks falling/rolling down the gully as the animal made its way up.
- While standing in front of his truck he heard a scream/roar that freighted him into leaving the area ASAP.
- Witness feels that the scream/roar was directed at him.
- The scream/roar lasted about 6-8 seconds and was very loud.
- Scream/roar sounded "like a gorilla" only higher pitched.
About BFRO Investigator Eddie Flores:
Eddie Flores is a state licensed Cosmetology Instructor in El Paso, Texas. He served as a BFRO guide/detective on the Mescalero Apache Expedition (January 2005). Click here for the expedition report.