Building a Weatherproof Housing

for the FMV1 Microphone (Page 2)

by Matt M.

The next two pictures show how the housing should look after the cup has been glued to the funnel and the funnel hole has been filled up with glue. Notice that the battery wire and antenna wire are still hanging loose. Notice also how the scotch tape is still covering the heat shrink tube openings.

The picture bellow shows the funnel after it has been partly filled with melted candle wax and the wax allowed to harden. The funnel has to be filled to a point just below the ceramic tuning pot, so the tuning pot is not submerged in the melted wax.

The picture below shows the result of several different steps :

The first step is to hot glue a patch of microphone windscreen foam (available at Radio Shack) over the mic head after the protective section of the heat shrink tubing has been cut off to a point just above the mic felt.

A 9-volt battery holder clip (availble at Radio Shack) is afixed to the inside wall of the funnel. A 9-volt alkaline battery is inserted into the battery holder, and 9-volt connector pad is connected to the power leads of the battery.

A small hole is made in the funnel wall just big enough to allow a one inch bolt to be inserted. The antenna wire is connected to bolt, and hot glue is used to cover the head of the bolt to prevent water from corroding the antenna wire

The next two pictures show the outside wall of the funnel with the antenna bolt protruding out of it. In the first picture an aligator clip is clamped onto the bolt. The aligator clip is connected to piece of mesh wire of the type used to hang a painting on a wall. The mesh wire is about three feet long and serves an extension for the short antenna wire that comes with the mic kit. I prefer this type of mesh wire as an antenna because of its great strength and flexibility. 

The second picture shows the antenna bolt without the aligator clip attached. You can also see the 9-volt battery held in place by the clip.

The last few steps involve camoflauging the housing. The following too pictures show my own camoflauge concept. You may think up something different, and the environment may require something different. The outside of the housing is covered with treebark pattern duct tape. I had trouble finding more of this stuff in Ohio. Every hunting store and outfitters said it wasn't made anymore. All I could find was camo "no-mar" gun tape, which is made of paper and falls off the housing when exposed to weather. The real cloth duct tape is fantastic stuff. When I couldn't more of this tape in Ohio, I resorted to pulling strips off some other gear to put on the mic housing. That used tape is STILL on the mic today ...

The black stuff you see on the under belly of the housing is some gunk called "Liquid Tape." It's used like electrician's tape but applied with a brush like liquid paper. On the second mic I built I used black candle wax, which removed the necessity for Liquid Tape.

Previous Page : Building the mic housing, page 1.

Next Page : Building the mic housing, page 3.

Bigfoot Field Researchers' Homepage 

Submit a report, an article, or comments.