Geographical Index > United States > West Virginia > Summers County > Report # 23477|
Submitted by witness on Saturday, March 29, 2008.
Family of bigfoot seen near I-64
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
STATE: West Virginia
COUNTY: Summers County
LOCATION DETAILS: Take the Sandstone exit from Beckley, turn left where the visitor center is on right, go on the road leading to the center. There is a gravel trail going up into the hills where the first sighting was. From the beginning of the trail uphill approximately 150ft to the left was where the second sightings occurred.
NEAREST TOWN: Hinton
NEAREST ROAD: 64east
OBSERVED: My financee and I were coming down I-64 east from Beckley, West Virginia, at approximately 6:45 pm. My financee said, “Holy crap, I just saw Bigfoot, 3 possibly 4!" We turned around and high tailed it back to the spot.
The sighting took place at the Hinton exit. There is a visitor's center off to the left. We went to the road she saw them and parked. I got out and looked around and within a minute I spotted the group. It consisted of 2 large and 2 smaller.
The larger appeared to be at least 7 to 8 foot tall. The smaller ones were 2 foot smaller. They were solid black in color. The group was approximately 150ft away, towards the top of a small hill. The 2 larger were standing up hill from the 2 smaller ones sitting. The group was moving back and forth. The 2 larger would squat then stand back up again, at least 4 times.
I then made a howling noise and the largest one began to sway back and forth between 2 trees. He looked like a gorilla at the zoo holding the bars and going back and forth. I howled again and he moved downhill towards one of the smaller ones and bent over near it. There was enough light behind them for me to see arms and legs and what appeared to be a huge upper body on the largest one.
The reach I saw between trees had to be at least 6ft. My fiancée was very scared and said we need to go. We got back in the car and moved about 20ft. and I saw more movement. We stopped again and I got out and saw 1 of the larger ones walk over the hill. Then I saw one of the smaller ones stand up. We left at that point. My fiancée had been a skeptic to a point, I was always a believer. Tonight changed our lives forever. Of course we called several people to share our experience. Now I am here sharing with you.
OTHER WITNESSES: my financee
OTHER STORIES: Friend camped at Sherwood Lake. During the night a niece was awakened by something standing outside her tent, dropping pebbles on the tent.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: approximately 6:45 pm first sighting in great light second sighting light was behind the creatures
ENVIRONMENT: mountain ridge and woods with openings for light to come through
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stephen Willis:
• The witness and his fiancée watched the four animals over 15 minutes.
• The two larger animals seemed aware of the human couple watching them.
• The largest animal paid close attention to the witnesses.
• The next largest paid more attention to the smaller pair and interacted with the small ones. It moved to close proximity to a young one and seemed to be communicating with gestures.
• The facial details could not be observed, other than the face was covered by hair.
• Body hair was long, 4-6 inches in length, could be seen hanging from the limbs when raised.
• There were no vocalizations from the animals.
• The creatures' arms came close to their knees when standing upright.
The following weekend (April 5th), the couple returned to the sighting location.
• A small dog (dachshund) was taken to the sighting area. It “went wild” when discovering what appeared to be a bedding area marked by vegetation crushed to the ground. It tugged at the leash wanting to proceed up the hill.
• The witness stated the area gave him a “creepy feeling,” like they were being watched.
April 6th, another trip to the sighting area.
• Large track seen and photographed, 2” longer than a size 13 sneaker and 8” wide.
• Scat found and photographed.
• Several photos taken in a circle around the bedding area, using flash attachment.
• Large rock thrown at the couple
• Movement seen by 10-year-old nephew while adult was taking photos.
• Large bipedal creature seen at the top of the hill they were standing on.
About BFRO Investigator Stephen Willis:
Grew up in central West Virginia. Retired from the US Army in 2003. Small manufacturing business owner. Lived for almost 7 years in Germany and 1.5 years in the Mideast.