Geographical Index > United States > Arizona > Coconino County > Report # 3482|
Submitted by witness on Friday, December 07, 2001.
Nighttime sighting by motorists on Hwy 87 in Jacks Canyon, 30 miles south of Winslow
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Coconino County
LOCATION DETAILS: JACKS CANYON ABOUT THIRTY MILES SOUTH OF WINSLOW ARIZONA
NEAREST TOWN: WINSLOW, ARIZONA
NEAREST ROAD: HIGHWAY 87
OBSERVED: on christmas eve of two thousand my cousin and I where driving on highway eighty seven. We where driving to Winslow Arizona we where about thirty miles from Winslow in the area of Jacks Canyon when we noticed a seven foot creature hairy creature walking down the side of the highway. We saw the creature in the headlights of the car as we passed the area by Jacks Canyon the creature covered its face as we passed we turned around because we couldnot believe what we saw,we both said what was that we couldnot find the creature when we had turned the car around.
OTHER WITNESSES: ONE WITNESS MY COUSIN SHAYLA
OTHER STORIES: INCIDENTS NORTH OF WINSLOW
TIME AND CONDITIONS: close to nine oclock in the evening
ENVIRONMENT: HIGH DESERT SOME PINES ARE IN JACKS CANYON
Follow-up investigation report:
Witness provided the following additional detail about the sighting to the investigator:
- its eyes glowed yellowish brown in the headlights as they passed it; animal covered its eyes with its hand and arm as the headlights shone upon it, apparently to avert the glare.
- hair was dark brown; animal had hair-covered face and hair from head to toe.
- witnesses turned vehicle around in order to go back and investigate the scene; the animal left several barefoot tracks in the snow, each of which were very long and had long toes; witness estimated length to be twenty inches.
- area was very remote, no houses, very little traffic.
- animal took broad steps, was somewhat hunched or bent over, and swung arms dramatically as it walked; it did not walk like a man.
- witness was approximately fifteen feet away as the car initially passed the animal; after the car stopped and began to turn around to check out the animal again, it sped off with tremendous speed into a nearby canyon.
Overall, this is a very compelling sighting and the witness was both genuine and credible.