Geographical Index > United States > Arizona > Coconino County > Report # 10877|
Submitted by witness Dave on Tuesday, March 8, 2005.
Midnight vocalizations disturb camping family near Mormon Mountain
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Coconino County
NEAREST TOWN: Flagstaff
NEAREST ROAD: Mormon Lake Rd.
OBSERVED: a few years agao i took my wife and the kids camping and quad rideing....we camped in northern arizona about 30 miles east of flagstaff.....we camped in an area named Mormon mountian, very old forest never logged, old grown trees everywhere....that night while we were going to sleep in our tent i heard the yell first..thinking i might have dreamned it first i never got up or said anything to my wife at first...then it yelled again makeing a whooping sound....it did this over and over as it went around our camp..i got up thinking this thing might be hostile...ill tel you ive been in az all my life and have hunted and fished here all my life...and ive never heard anything like this.UNTIL.....i heard thesame sound or yells on your website.....
OTHER WITNESSES: wife..2 sons
TIME AND CONDITIONS: roughling midnite no moon...real dark
ENVIRONMENT: old growth pine forest..very thick
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Cliff Barackman:
The witness was contacted by phone on 4/19/05.
The following details can be added to his report:
• They were camping at around 8300 ft. elevation on the west side of Mormon Mountain.
• They first heard the vocalizations after going to bed around midnight.
• Witness describes the sounds as exactly like gibbons from the zoo. Both the witness and his son were struck by the similarity between the “Whoops and Knocks” recording from the BFRO site and what they heard.
• The animal came from the east along the ridge, approached the camp within 100 yards, went around their camp in a wide circle, and then went down the mountain to the north. The vocalizations lasted about ten minutes and echoed considerably.
Dave is a very experienced hunter and woodsman. He is familiar with the animals in the area in question and their habits.
About BFRO Investigator Cliff Barackman:
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music (Guitar) -- Cal. State Long Beach
- Professional educator with more than a decade of experience.
- Attended many public BFRO expeditions since 2005 (Redwoods, Sierras, Arizona, Southern California, Vancouver Island, Mendocino).
- Attended and/or led numerous non-public BFRO expeditions (CA: Bluff Creek, Blue Creek, Stanislaus NF; WA: Stevens Pass, Olympic Peninsula, Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest; Ohio: Beaver Creek; Florida: Green Swamp)
- Led the 2007 and 2008 California Sierra Nevadas Expedition (public), and the Oregon Expedition (public) in June 2008
- Can be reached at NorthAmericanBigfoot@gmail.com