DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Ohio > Scioto County > Report # 27972
Report # 27972  (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, July 10, 2010.
Family camping at Shawnee State Forest has possible encounter
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2010

SEASON: Summer




COUNTY: Scioto County

LOCATION DETAILS: campsite xxx at the campgrounds of Shawnee National Forrest Park

NEAREST TOWN: Portsmouth

OBSERVED: My husband and I and three children decided to go camping for the 4th of July weekend at the Shawnee National Forrest Park in Ohio. We left on friday July 2,2010 and came home on July 6th. On July 6th at 4:00 a.m. in the morning my husband was awakened by a very strange noise and thought maybe raccoons were in our trash but then listened and thought that it couldnt be raccoons by the noise it was making. It sounded like it was calling the other one from the woods into the site. We heard the other one walking behind our tent and my husband started to yell "HEY HEY GET OUT OF HERE" and then they ran into the woods and it sounded like stomping.....we then knew it was something very very large. I got the kids and we ran to the car. We drove into Portsmouth for about an hour and half...we couldnt think of any animal that could make that noise or stomp like that through the woods. Maybe a bear but bears couldnt make that noise. So we went back to the campsite this was about 5:30 a.m. and my husband went up first to check it was a liltle light out but not light enough to see into the woods... after he was up there for a little bit i went up and we herd something breathing heavy and then a stick was thrown at me and it made that noise again and we both ran to the car and just slept in our car. Finally when it was like 8:30a.m. we went up to the site and looked around and couldnt find anything missing and our garbage was ripped open but not spread out all over the place.....and my husband went up into the woods and found a pack of our raymon noodles that was opened but not eaten( i thought that was weird most animals eat anything).. So we packed everything up and left. Later that day when i was home i was thinking about the night before all this happened that when i was sitting by our fire i could hear something throwing stuff at our campsite and felt like something was watching us but i thought i was just scaring myself...but it all makes sense now they were watching us and finally came into our camping area the last day we were there! We were camping at 2 different sites that week the first site was xxx and the site that everything happened at was right next to that one just farther back in the woods and that one was xxx..... It was deffinately a night to remember and i have never had any kind of experience like this before in my life! I am scared and curious at the same time.....if only we would have had a flashlight we would have been able to see it but we only had a lantern!

OTHER WITNESSES: two adults and two children sleeping

OTHER STORIES: I never knew anything prior to going here...I have never research bigfoot before.


ENVIRONMENT: Very heavy woods and there is a big creek behind the campsite down a big hill

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Russ Jones:

I talked to the witness at length. I can add the following to the report. The witness is a 24 year-old pre-med student. Her husband is a landscaper. Their two children are 4 and 2. After hearing the noises, around 4 am, the husband stuck his head out of the tent and seeing a shadow heard both creatures run off. After that he could hear "clicking" type noises as well as monkey type noises. In addition they were able to hear "heavy" walking and both animals breathing deeply. When the stick was thrown at her she estimates that she was about 30 feet from the animal.The next day there was no physical evidence to be found. With temperatures approaching 100 degrees those day conditions were not favorable for footprints. They did note a tree 1" in diameter broken off about 8 feet high.After the family left the park she felt strongly enough to call back and talk to the park ranger and us about what had happened. Prior to this experience the witness had no belief in bigfoot and never really thought about it. After the experience she is convinced that her family had an encounter with bigfoot.

About BFRO Investigator Russ Jones:

Dr. Jones brings a background of hunting, trapping and outdoor experiences together with undergraduate and graduate education. He is a master naturalist and has attended numerous public and private expeditions. He has led expeditions for the BFRO in Ohio and West Virginia. He has written two Bigfoot books, the last “The Appalachian Bigfoot” was an Amazon best selling book. He hosts the Wide Open Research Podcast on the Untold Radio Network. Dr. Jones may be contacted at

  Copyright © 2024