DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > California > Humboldt County > Report # 7504
Report # 7504  (Class A)
Submitted by SY on Saturday, December 6, 2003.
Fisherman has a second encounter on a rainy afternoon, as a upright animal moves from a streambed.
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2003

SEASON: Spring


STATE: California

COUNTY: Humboldt County

LOCATION DETAILS: Going north on 101, take 254, and once you turn onto 254, off to the left, I pulled in and parked.


NEAREST ROAD: Highway 101

OBSERVED: Well this was just supposed to be a fishing trip to see what the area had to offer. I had been coming to this area for the past couple of months and started to learn it a little better. So I decided to go exploring for some fishing holes. All I had with me at the time was a fishing rod and a GPS receiver so I wouldnít get lost.

I parked the truck and started out on foot. I had talked to two local fishermen about what was in these rivers, and what to use. Iím from the south and this area was like a new world. So I made my way down to the river along the side of the bank. At times the going got a little hard but I managed. I tried several places but the water was moving too fast, so I thought that I would try and find a slack part of the river, where the flow was a little slower. Now these woods are a lot different than the ones I was used to, so I was a little excited about this new area.

I had been walking for maybe 45 minutes and covered maybe two miles when I saw something in the distance. At first I thought that it was just a stump, seeing that I had left my glasses in the truck. Now my vision isnít that bad, but I still need them for driving. But, I started feeling a little uneasy due to an earlier encounter, plus it might have been a bear.

But, being the idiot that I am, I had to get closer. I got to within about 75 yards, because I was using the tree line as cover. That was as close as I wanted to get. You could say that my heart was beating out of my chest it was like I had buck fever. Well now that I was within good sight of the creature. It was easy to see what it was. It finally stood up, and I didnít know up until that point how big it really was.

Now, I had a roommate who was 6'7Ē and this creature would have easily stood over him. At the best guess I would have to say that it was 7'6Ē tall, and it had to weigh over 400lbs. It finally turned to me and made me out in a second, but when it turned, it didnít run away instantly. It just stood there. I guess it was trying to see what I was. We must have looked at each other for 10 seconds or so, but it felt like 10 minutes. And in that time all I could see was that the creature had dark reddish brown hair, and the arms easily hung down to the creatures knees.

But within an instant something spooked it. The creature turned and looked down river, and it just took off. Now the ground that this thing covered was amazing. I didnít move for a good bit, because I was in shock. After the creature had left, I did the same, once I could get my feet working again.

ALSO NOTICED: The only thing that i found unusual was when the creature was spooked. I didnt hear or see anything else but the two of us.



TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was early afternoon, and the light conditions where poor due to the rain.

ENVIRONMENT: Slack part of a creek, with thick woods all around.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

On the evening of January 22, 2005, SY called me and we went over his second visual encounter. Which occurred in close proximity to his short road encounter that took place in April of 2003. Note: his previous encounter is in report # 10265, same county.

SY first thought that this might be a fisherman crouched on a rocky streambed, and he thought that he would just amble on over and ask him a few questions about how to fish this area. As he got a little closer, he noticed it was mostly just one color, and he then thought it might be a bear.

Then it stood up, and looked at him, and thatís when it hit him that this is the same kind of animal that had walked in front of his vehicle in April. This sighting made him a little sick to his stomach, froze him in his tracks, and this time, it really shook him up. They sized each other up, for what seemed like a very long time, but it was only a few seconds. The animal then turned its head to look downstream, SY thought it might have been a boat coming down stream, and it made a fifty-yard dash into the wooded area along the river and out of sight. Per SY, it took less than three seconds to make that move.

The witness said that this creature was very large, seven feet or so with dark reddish brown hair all over its body, and had to weigh over four hundred pounds. He couldnít give specific characteristics of the face due to the distance. SY noticed that the legs had large quads, and were short for its height, but the torso seem much longer than a person, who might have been that tall. The arms seemed longer than a person, and much more muscular. He couldnít tell if it was male or female, but he didnít see any breasts on its chest. What SY wanted to convey to everyone is the speed that this creature can move, which is about twice as fast as our best athletes.

When the creature reached the woods, SY dropped his fishing pole and took off towards his vehicle, and then took off for home. Note: SY and his friend came back to the same location in July of 2003, and they retrieved his fishing pole, which was where he had dropped it in May.

Summary: SY told me a very credible story, and I believe he had seen his second sasquatch. What I do find hard to believe is that SY saw a creature twice, and to me that is like wining the lotto twice. He doesnít quite see it that way, because he is still very troubled by these sightings. The witness is now out to prove these creatures are really out there, and has purchased some good equipment to do so. He is going back up there this spring, and he really would like to talk with someone who has seen one of these animals.

On this outing, SY still didnít have a camera in his possession, and he didnít check the area for footprints, because he was really too shook up to look this time.

After talking to SY on two different occasions, I too will be planning a trip to this Redwood State Park soon. Please notice the time of year, and the weather conditions when the sightings occurred. If you have seen one of these creatures, and want to talk with SY, just write to the BFRO comment section, and I will pass on your e-mail address, so he can make contact with you.

  Copyright © 2022