Geographical Index > United States > California > Shasta County > Report # 8784|
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, June 2, 2004.
Residents Awakened by Early Morning Vocalizations
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Shasta County
LOCATION DETAILS: Head west on 299 turn south on Hudson St. My apartment was located nearby.
NEAREST TOWN: Burney Ca
NEAREST ROAD: Hudson St
OBSERVED: After midnight in the fall of 1992 up in Burney CA, my mother comes and wakes me up to listen to a noise she just heard outside. I walk out to our porch and wait for about 5 min. It is pretty cold out side so I'm about to go in side when I heard something that made my skin crawl, and my hair stand on end. The sound was very gutteral in nature, It sounded like chirpping and then it went into a scream that sounded like a cougar,bear,howler monkey rolled into one. It is really hard to explain the sound. I have heard it before on bigfoot documentaries since then. I went out to search for what made the noise and didn't see anything but there was a punget odor in the air. At the time I did not associate the two. I went back inside. The next morning our next door neighbor complained that someone was outside her window last night. She said her window shades were drawn but could see the silhouette of a head and shoulders. I asked her to show me what window it was. It was her back bedroom window that is at least 6-7 ft off the ground. The ground under her window was packed hard clay and there was no foot prints or anything.
ALSO NOTICED: A pungent odor was in the air, too slight to overpower you but strong enough to smell. The smell was worse than a skunk. We had a lot of skunks in the area but this smelled worse.
OTHER WITNESSES: Me and my mother. I was sleeping and my mother was watching TV. She stepped to the kithchen window to smoke a cigarette and heard the noise. Just recently I am the only witness left.
OTHER STORIES: Not to my knowlege at the time, It was many years later I heard there were soundings and sightings in Shasta county.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: around 11pm. There was a new moon, no light except for the path lights on the property. It was cold, not extremly cold just very nippy.
ENVIRONMENT: The property is loacated at the foot of a large hill and it is a wooded area. Mostly Evergreen trees suround the area.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Tom Yamarone:
I spoke with the witness by phone and have the following to add:
- This was an extraordinary event for both witnesses. They live near a forest and hear animal sounds periodically. These sounds were so unusual that they prompted the action described in the account above.
- This small complex of four apartments is surrounded on three sides by forest.
- He refined his time estimate to be later at night, between 1 and 3 am.
- The vocalization was a series of sounds as described above ranged from guttural growls, to chirps and whoops. He told me that at times they were all combined – and it was “really loud.”
- It was emanating from just inside the tree line approx. 300 feet away.
- The sound was so disturbing, he ran into to get his father for “back-up” and they both inspected the perimeter of the dwellings.
- After standing outside the neighbor's window, he estimated the height of the creature to be between 8 and 9 feet.