DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > California > San Bernardino County > Report # 24456
Report # 24456  (Class B)
Submitted by J.L. on Friday, August 15, 2008.
Native American experiences a close encounter from her backyard outside the San Bernadino National Forest
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2008

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

DATE: 14th

STATE: California

COUNTY: San Bernardino County

LOCATION DETAILS: Being Indian, I can not understand why it would come this far from the woodland area except maybe looking for food. We do have a lot of fruit trees and stuff growing in the back yard and near by other yards.


NEAREST ROAD: Countyline RD.

OBSERVED: During the early morning hours of August 14th at 1:am; I was laying in bed when I heard this god awful sound out of my bedroom window coming from my back yard. I never heard anything so awful in all of my life. In my life time I never heard a wild animal that could make an awful sound like that.

Iíve heard through the years about this big foot stuff, and Iím not sure what this thing was, but while I was at the window looking I could hear foot steps in the leaves.

It made the sound three times, so I made a mad cat fighting sound, and it was then that I heard the foot steps leave my yard and I know that it was human steps and not animal sounding steps.

I went back to bed, but I could not forget that sound. A friend called the next day and I was telling them about it. He told me there was some guys on the news who had found a dead big foot back east. He told me to go to your web site for pictures, so I did for fun. I looked at all of the pictures and listened to the different sounds, and when I got to the last sounds on your site page, I freaked out, because that was the same sound that I heard that morning.

The next night it was back again, but this time I saw out my window this hairy thing which was very-very tall. I have been freaked out ever since, and I canít sleep, because this thing is very upsetting.

ALSO NOTICED: I felt it was very strange that it would come back a second night. I do know from what I saw, it was no bear, it was a human form and hairy and a ugly looking thing. It looked like that star wars creature choobacka. I just canít figure why this thing would come this far down into a community?

OTHER WITNESSES: No one because it was one oíclock in the morning and everybody else was in bed. The only reason I was up late was I do a lot of counseling, and I just had gone to bed at 12:46 that night.

OTHER STORIES: No, I have not. I have been here only 8 years. But, my friend has studied this area where I live, and he told me there have been other stories in the history of the Yucaipa area, during the 1970ís.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was 1:am and it was warm. I had those solar lights on in the back yard, and my yard has no fence around the perimeter, and Iím fairly close to the Big Bear area.

ENVIRONMENT: The Mountains are close by, and this is a town with lots of mountainous terrain. We do have bear problems. Yucaipa is a standard small town, but the upper part of our town has a pine forest, with creek beds and mountain ridges that surround us.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

I had the opportunity to talk with a senior female Native American on the evening of August 20, 2008. We discussed her two encounters on consecutive nights, which took place starting on the 14th of August. She has heard many stories about these creatures, but refused to really believe in them until a few nights ago. After her sighting, she was scared out of her mind and had a very difficult time trying to sleep after that. The conversations I had with her were very compelling, making her story credible and believable.

This witness first heard what she thought were three consecutive growls/whistles, with a duration about 3 to 5 seconds each time, on the first night. She has two shelties and they were asleep the first night and didnít make any sounds. The whistle part of the growl was different than any she had ever heard before, but it made the hair stand up on the back of her neck.

She was advised by a friend who pointed her to the BFRO website. She heard the exact same sound in our growl and whistle section. This witness was scared, but decided to make a call back sounding something like two cats that were fighting. She made that sound for me, and it sounded pretty good, plus it did sound like a couple of cats fighting.

Anyway, she then heard what sounded like a large person walking away, making a bipedal sound walking through the leaves in her backyard and through her neighborís yard.

Second night, her two shelties started to growl at around 1 am, but this time she looked out the window, and what she saw was approximately 7 ft tall, a creature silhouetted from below the mid section on up that had hair protruding and/or sticking out all over its body, and one of its arms was visible to her. This creature was standing about 15 to 20 ft away from her location, in the moonlight, and she could see its shadow on the next door neighborís trailer.

Without even thinking, she made the fighting cat sounds again, because she didnít know what else to do, and she was so scared. Again this creature turned and walked away from her property and into the mountainous area behind her trailer moving very fast. This witness never mentioned anything about any type of a bad smell during this whole process.

We, the wife and I, live about a hundred or so miles North from this location, and we have had to close our window shades at about the midnight hour, until the moon goes down, because of the brightness of that moon on those same nights. It was almost like daylight because you could see the shadows of the trees and of the buildings.

I then ask the question, did you ever check for any tracks or anything else that this creature might have left behind? Her answer was ďYes", but she didnít see anything like that, but she figured out just what that creature was eating in her backyard. She had grapes growing in her yard, and so she removed all that she could so this thing wouldnít come back. But, her neighbor still had an apricot tree in her yard with fruit still attached. Note on the third night her two dogs began to growl again, but this time the window was shut, and she just went to bed.

About BFRO Investigator Richard Hucklebridge:

  • Four years in the United States Navy, 1955-1959 (Combat Air Crewman on P4M Mercator Patrol Aircraft)
  • 37 years in the aerospace industry: 33 years with General Electric at Edwards AFB; More than 5 years with the Northrop Grumman Corp. at Edwards AFB (Flight Line Mechanic on the B-2 Bomber).
  • During 20 of those years at Edwards he was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for the County of Los Angeles.

  Copyright © 2024