DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > North Carolina > Wilkes County > Report # 27908
Report # 27908  (Class A)
Submitted by witness Ricky Lunsford on Monday, June 21, 2010.
Man recalls his 1978 close encounter with a large hair covered creature in Wilkesboro
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 1978

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: August

STATE: North Carolina

COUNTY: Wilkes County

LOCATION DETAILS: It happened in Wilbar, NC. Off 16 North about 8 to 10 miles. Roten Creek Road

NEAREST TOWN: Millers Creek/North Wilkesboro, North Carolina

NEAREST ROAD: 16 north

OBSERVED: I was sitting at Popular Crove Church waiting on my girlfriends parents to go to work so I could see her. I started walking up the dirt road then I cut up on Roten Creek Road still walking on a dirt road. When I was walking I had a funny feeling and the hair on my neck and arms stood up. I passed by a local old lady's house, and saw car lights coming down the road from a distance so I ran down, to my left, and into the corn field. I squatted down and was waiting for the set of lights to come down the road, and as they passed, I saw another set of lights coming down the road, which was my girlfriends parents leaving.

I was still squatting when I smelt a sudden (bad) odor (like mildew). I looked to the left then I looked to the right and I didn't see anything til I looked directly behind me. At the edge of the mountain where the cornfield began, there Bigfoot stood about 30 to 40 feet away from me.

He was starring at me with big dark eyes. He had an oval pointed head. I'd say about 6-8 foot tall and as wide as a refrigerator. His arms were down beside him. He had big fingers, and hair 4 or 5 inches long all over his body. He had a bow in his back. He just stood there. He didn't show any teeth or anything. I remember trying to get my legs to start running but it was like I was frozen.

It took me about 10 seconds to start running (NOTE: there was lights coming down the dirt road the whole time all of this was going on but we were both out of sight.) I started running. I ran into a barb wire fence getting to the road, then went running up the road hollering. I told my girlfriend about it and told her not to tell anybody. This has haunted me for years but I know for a fact that if he wanted to hurt me he could have.


OTHER STORIES: Yes, my ex wife's- uncle's wife. We told them and they live near where I saw it, on the same side of the road. She said she'd seen the same thing walking upright near the mountain, just like what I described to her.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: August or September. Morning hours between 5 and 5:30am. Dusky lighting. Warm not raining or frost.

ENVIRONMENT: Bottom of the mountain where the cornfield began. Creek is on other side across from cornfield. Rugged terrain.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Sybilla Irwin:

The following details can be added:

• Seeing vehicle headlights coming down the gravel road toward him, the witness ran into the cornfield to avoid being spotted. It was then that he smelled the awful odor. He saw nothing looking from side to side but upon looking behind him, toward where the mountain began and the cornfield ended, he saw the animal standing motionless and silent, blending in with the surroundings.

• The witness described its head as large, oval shaped, with 4 to 5 inch dark brown hair all over its body. He saw no neck and described its head as sitting down on its shoulders. Its eyes were large, and round. Its hands were huge and he clearly saw four fingers and a thumb. Its shoulders were approximately 3 feet wide and slightly hunched over. He estimates its weight at between 400 and 450lbs. He saw no discernable waist as the animal was blocky in shape.

• The witness and the animal stared at each other for approximately 30 seconds before the witness bolted, running into a barbwire fence, tearing his clothing.

• He never heard the animal’s approach. He speculated that it might have been in the area he ran into, or that it had been pacing him, as earlier he felt like he was being watched.

• For years the question that has haunted him the most was the animal’s intent. He doesn’t believe its intention was to hurt him. He believes he was in its territory and the expression he saw on its face was one of curiosity and concern, as if it was trying to figure out what he was doing there.

• The witness said he’s kept his silence all these years because he was a long haired, 20 year old at the time of his sighting, and he thought people would not believe him. Now, as a grandfather, he wants his grandchildren to know about this event.

• The witness had nightmares about the animal for years and despite the passing of 32 years, his memory of the animal and the event, is crystal clear, saying, “I just know what I saw.”

A news article, 'Bigfoot in Wilkes?', hit his local paper Wednesday, July 21, 2010, a month after his daughter helped him file this report. This witness initially called us because he does not have a computer.

The first sketch was created with the help of the witness. The second was created with the help of artwork submitted by his brother.

About BFRO Investigator Sybilla Irwin:

• Bachelor of Arts Degree from Texas A&M University

• Self employed Artist

• Professional stained glass artist and teacher.

• Professional Artist

• Fine artist. (Oils, pastels, & watercolor) Wildlife, Portraiture, Landscape, and sketches of Sasquatch for investigators and witnesses.

• Attended Texas Expedition 2008, Colorado Expedition 2008, Oklahoma Expedition 2008 and numerous private expeditions. She has attended: Michigan UP Expedition 2009, Utah Expedition 2009,Wyoming Expedition 2009, Colorado Expedition 2009 attended the Oklahoma Expedition 2009. In 2010 she attendee BFRO 'Investigator Only' expeditions in Texas and Colorado. She attended the
Colorado Expedition 2011. She Co-lead the BFRO's first all female expedition held in November Texas Expedition 2011. She lead and organized the recent Texas Expedition 2012.

Related Media Articles:

  Copyright © 2024