DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Snohomish County > Report # 35706
Report # 35706  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Thursday, June 7, 2012.
Camper has two late night encounters in North Cascades
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2011

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: September

DATE: 1st

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Snohomish County

LOCATION DETAILS: This was in the northern Cascade Mountains. It would be too easy for people who have been there to figure out. And I DO NOT want that to happen. I will explain.I think you will understand.

NEAREST TOWN: I need this to be kept private please.

NEAREST ROAD: See above (I will explain).

OBSERVED: On September 1st, 2011 I was camping up in the beautiful Cascade Mountains of Washington State with my friend Dave (my name is Dave as well). We got there early on Thursday to get the spot we wanted. It was for us the start of the Labor Day weekend. We had set up camp and drove up an old logging road to get our firewood for the night. There is a bridge close to our campsite. We had supper and relaxed around the campfire. At about 10:30 that night I decided to grab a flashlight and go looking around the area across the bridge. I really had not planned on looking for Bigfoot as I was busy with the logistics of putting this camping trip together. I am a true believer in Sasquatch, and read Bigfoot stories all the time(ask my wife). As I cleared the bridge there is a dead-end road on the right that goes down for about a quarter mile or so. I know this because I have been down there. The road is gated at the top with a pipe gate. In the middle of the gate is a red reflector. I could not see the reflector because something was standing in front of it. I had shined my just regular flashlight, with about ¾ battery power down this road. What I did see was a pair of big yellow eyes, looking back at me. I FROZE. I remember thinking: Oh My GOD! I noticed that the right eye was much brighter than the left eye. I thought that perhaps there was some hair hanging down over the inside of the left eye. Or maybe it had an injury. I then noticed how far apart the eyes were. And how high up from the ground they were. Actually they were roughly even with mine, but the road there sloped down a bit. About four feet or more! I’m 5’8” on a good day. This “thing” would have towered over me! The creature was either dark brown or black, as I could not make out any body or head features at all. Just those yellow eyes. There was no odor at all. The air was perfectly still. It made no noise either. I processed all this very quickly. If it would have growled at me it would have been laundry time! We stared at each other for maybe 10-12 seconds. It seemed to kind of lean side to side a little. Without moving its feet. Then the eyes dropped down a little and made a big circle. Pause. Then another circle same as the first. Like an owl, only way bigger. I thought that he had put his hands on his knees maybe. Kind of like I have seen on TV of apes moving.It looked at me for 3 more seconds and I lost it. Not knowing what this thing was going to do next, I took off running to the middle of the bridge and spun around. Every hair on my body was standing up. It did not follow me. I was not surprised. But I was also very happy. I was panting. Mostly from adrenaline, I think! I hustled back to camp and told Dave what happened. I said “Let’s go back over there. “Grab your camera” (a digital with a strong flash and video+audio). I was very excited. I knew that this could be a chance of a lifetime to get this thing on film. You have to understand that in my mind, there was nothing else that this creature could be than a REAL Sasquatch. I completely believe it to this day. Anyways, Dave Cannot find his camera. After we looked for a couple of minutes or so I get pissed and said, or words to the effect “Let’s go while this thing is still in the same county”! So we get to the bridge and walk fast at first, then slow way down being quiet. I whispered “ You watch the left side and I’ll watch this side. We’ll try to get both flashlights on it at the same time”. Dave’s flashlight was about the same as mine). It wasn’t in front of the gate anymore. That didn’t surprise me. What I did see was the red reflector. I did not even know it was even there the 1st time. But there it was. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb! It was blocked by the Bigfoot.On Dave’s side was a pull-out. It was empty. (The next night some people ‘Camped’ there). I told Dave “Shine your light up the road”. There HE was! On my side walking slowly towards us. He had the exact same eyes. The left one was messed up, just like the 1st time! Dave and I were about 10-12 feet apart. I said “Dave, THERE HE IS! Do you see him? He’s coming Dave! There he is!”. Both of our lights had shined on this things face at the same time. Only for like 3 seconds or so. But it lit his head up! The head did not look pointed to me, like many people have reported. It was really BIG though. I was slowly backing up as I watched it walking towards us. “Don’t you see it ?” “No” he says. I was backing up slowly out of fear as I’m watching the eyes move up and down rhythmically.
. Well, it turns out that Dave can’t see much in bright sunlight. At night he is basically following the sound of your voice. So he can’t find his camera at the critical time; and I have no witness to this incidence, even though he was right there with me! I love the guy. But FU$%! So I get scared and take off running to the middle of the bridge again, with Dave behind me. The only reason he is running is because I was. You ever hear the joke about never going Grizzly Bear hunting with a friend who can out-run you? Well I out-weight Dave and he had trouble keeping up! It was HUGE! Also, although the road was going up hill, it was very straight and flat. I was familiar with this stretch of road, having camped there many times. And this gave me a great idea of how tall this thing was. When I say it was pushing ten feet tall, I feel confident that this is an accurate judgment of its true height. And there were NO tree branches there at all to justify an owl sitting on a limb. If it was an owl, it would have to be 10 feet tall. So we quickly get back to camp. Dave of course, finds his camera. Under his sleeping bag. We jumped into the van and shot across the bridge. Of course we could not find him. I knew he was just inside the trees on one side or the other. It was as dark as the inside of a Buffalo on a moon-less night.
The next morning I walked across the bridge to the top of the road on the right. I walked up to the pipe gate and stood there. Right exactly where HE stood. I paced it off, and it was roughly 45 yards to where I stood when I first spotted him. Boy, I sure will bring a massive candle power flashlight next time! And have a camera ready as well. But you get your chances when they happen. I was not prepared! One thing I haven’t mentioned. At the time this all happened, I had truly forgotten that in my tent were my two guns. I had my 9mm, plus a 12 gauge sawed-off double barreled shotgun(side by side and barely legal) loaded with 00 BUCK. It had never occurred to me to shoot this guy. I had completely forgotten that I was heavily armed! When he was walking down the road towards us, he, in retrospect, was just kind of shooing us away I think. I think of him as being a gentle giant! He very easily could have run us down and killed us. I feel blessed that they are out there. He did not harass us or threaten us in any way. Other than just leisurely walking towards us and scaring the CRAP out of me!I will go back there this summer,more prepared for sure. STOP!!!!!! - I haven’t told anyone yet, except for now.
I also have a Class B report that happened back in 1975, up it Whatcom County near the Canadian border. This encounter was truly TERRIFIYING! Scared all 3 of us, plus the Big German Shepard ( who PEED himself) that we had with us in a remote cabin. Ask me about that Story!! Thank you for having this site for us to tell our Bigfoot Stories.
God bless and keep up the good work!

ALSO NOTICED: Just what I have said.

OTHER WITNESSES: Although my friend was Right there,he cannot see shit.

OTHER STORIES: Yes.In fact,I read in BFRO of a sighting not 3 miles away. And others not much farther than that.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: About 10:30 PM. Pitch Back.No wind.Clear skies.

ENVIRONMENT: Beautiful thick forest area with huge old growth Cedars and Firs. Lots of underbrush with Huckleberries,etc.Rivers and streams through-out.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Robert Parker:

I first spoke with this witness by phone then arranged a meeting with him. After that meeting we arranged to visit the location of his sighting. In the interim I made a cardboard representation of what he reported so we could more accurately gauge the height of the creature while on-site.

On July 6th we visited the location. The area is very familiar to me as I have camped and fished there for over 50 years. I have seen deer, bear, and all manner of small fuzzy creatures there. The area holds a lot of food sources including the aforementioned plus mushrooms, salmon berries, red huckleberries, skunk cabbage, and numerous edible mosses and lichens. There are rivers, creeks, and ponds in the vicinity. The woods range from old (early 1900’s) replant, to more recent timber sale areas and later replant.

Photo 1 shows an intersection. The road to the right is where the creature was first sighted and the road straight ahead and uphill is the location of the second sighting, after the witness ran back to camp to get his friend.

For both sightings, the witness was standing near the juncture of the two roads.

Photo 2 shows the re-creation of the first sighting. The witness only saw the glowing yellow eyes and the red reflector on the gate being blocked. The mock-up was raised up to this point where the witness indicated his recounting of the height. The measurement to the top of the “head” is 10’ 1”. The distance between the witness and the creature was measured at 103’.

Photo 3 shows where the witness saw the creature upon returning with his friend, an estimated 2 minutes later. They looked down the road to the location of the first sighting, but were dismayed to not see the creature. As they turned, they looked up the hill and the witness could see the creature on the road, where it began walking toward them.

The distance between the witness and the creature on the second sighting was approximately 150’. Per the witness, this is an accurate re-creation of his second sighting. The measurement to the top of the head was again 10’1” and the mass was also stated as accurate.

The witness has spent most of his life in the outdoors, camping and fishing whenever he has the time. He is familiar with all manner of animal life common to Washington State. The specifics of his encounter are without variation at each telling. Further, he exhibited the appropriate physical and emotional reactions to the re-creation of his encounter. I believe the witness had the good fortune to encounter a bigfoot twice at close range. I wonder how close the encounter could have been if the witness had not fled when the creature walked toward him!

About BFRO Investigator Robert Parker:

Rob is a life-long resident of Washington state, currently residing in Snohomish County. A daylight face-to-face encounter in 1969 started him on the path to discovery and led him to working with John Green, Dick Grover, and others throughout the 1970's, taking reports and conducting investigations. His interest in all things Bigfoot, has been greatly piqued over the last decade by what he believes to be either evolutionary developments or significant behavioral changes from those reported in the 60's and before. His interests are mainly in Washington State where he is attempting to pattern the movements and behaviors of Sasquatch.

  Copyright © 2024