DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Grays Harbor County > Report # 40381
Report # 40381  (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, March 16, 2013.
Homeowner stumbles across a sleeping sasquatch in the brush behind his home near Ocean Shores
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 2012

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: December

DATE: 26

STATE: Washington

COUNTY: Grays Harbor County

LOCATION DETAILS: Edited to preserve the privacy of the witness.

NEAREST TOWN: Ocean Shores

NEAREST ROAD: Ocean Shores Blvd

OBSERVED: Witness' Report: As told to Scott Taylor and Rayn Moonflower. The witness does not own a computer.

I had been helping some neighbors with a repair, and since I don’t drive anymore, they took me home. It was about 2:00PM on Dec 26th 2012. The car had several people in it when they dropped me off. I was up on my porch, getting my keys out to open the front door when I heard screaming coming from the car which was still in the driveway. Wondering what they were arguing about, I turned to look at them, and saw that they were frantic, pointing to the back of my yard. I turned to look at what they were pointing at, when I saw a very large, hairy, upright form crossing a little cut in the brush at the back of my lot. There were three deer with it, two in front and one behind. That seemed strange. The deer were unconcerned. We have a huge population of deer here. I knew immediately what it was….a bigfoot. I noted a tree limb that was even with its head. One step and it was gone. I went out there and marked the limb where its head was with a piece of white rag.

The next week, on January 3rd around 2:30PM, I was out at the back of my property with my loppers. I was cutting a trail through the very thick brush so that I could get to the next street easier. There are narrow deer trails and I was on one of those. I smelled something really bad. It was like a ripe garbage can. I made my way in that direction, clipping branches, when suddenly I saw something on the ground in about 6-8 feet in front of me. At first, I couldn’t see what it was, and then it moved. I was frozen in fear. I am on oxygen, and knew I could not run. This thing arose to hands and knees. It was hairy and brown, with silver gray hair on its back. It reminded me of a giant pile of steel wool. I thought it was a bear at first. It was supporting itself on its right hand and knees. The left hand was off the ground. It turned its head and upper body to look left and looked at me. My fear level was a 10! I dropped my loppers without moving. He then looked away from me, shifting his weight to his left hand. He brought his right hand up in front of him and rubbed his thumb on his fingers while he looked right, then forward as if he were reasoning out which way to go. Then he looked back at me, but his expression changed, and my fear level dropped. He looked intelligent. After a few seconds of considering what to do, he took off in the direction he was facing, straight ahead. On all fours he slithered along the ground, going under limbs and up a little rise for about 15 feet. Then I saw him stand up momentarily, and then duck down and dart away to the right. It was at that moment that I decided to run, to heck with the consequences. I made it back to my yard and about halfway to the house when I collapsed. After resting, getting my breath, and collecting my wits, I went back there. I found what I think is a hand print, and placed a bucket over it to preserve it.

After thinking things over, the next evening, I called the police. Two officers were there within minutes. They arrived around 6:30PM. They were very re-assuring. They said to not worry, and to just tell them what happened, as they see strange things all the time. I told them what happened. They stayed with me for a couple of hours. They did not make fun of me and were supportive and re-assuring.

I don’t own a computer, and don’t even know how to turn one on. I started asking around for some friends in real-estate to look for some organization to report this to. Eventually, someone found your number and gave it to me. I thought it was a Montana phone number. I called an left a message.

ALSO NOTICED: The creature was walking with three deer, as if they were all together. The deer were unconcerned by the presence of the creature between them. Second encounter, he was sleeping on my property in the brush.

OTHER WITNESSES: 4 neighbors in their car. They had just dropped me off at my home.

OTHER STORIES: No, not right here but around the area.


ENVIRONMENT: Sparce residential, with extensive thick coastal brush between properties.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

This witness called the BFRO hotline and I returned his call. He related the story of what happened. Not being there, it was difficult to keep the time-line straight and the facts in order. He was very excited that someone called him back. The two encounters were blurred into one encounter and I thought that he had seen everything on the same day. I realized that in order to get the whole story, I needed to be there to see where it all happened. I made an appointment to go meet him on the following Sunday. I asked my friend, Rayn to go along.

Rayn and I went to visit this witness on Sunday, January 13th. We met him at his home. He was sifting through a pile of dirt and leaves from the place where he said the sasquatch was. He was looking for hair. He hadn’t found anything. We interviewed the witness for about an hour. He told us exactly what happened and when. This time, I realized that we were talking about two separate sightings a week apart. I was able to get him to tell me what happened the first day, December 26th. Then we moved on to talking about the second encounter on January 3rd. He told me about the police officers who came to take his report. After taking notes, I suggested we go outside and he could show us where the events took place.

The witness stood where he was standing on the front porch when he had the first sighting. Rayn went to where the sasquatch stood and positioned herself under the limb with the white rag tied to it. I took some pictures from the perspective of over the shoulder of the witness. His shoulder can be seen in the picture. Then, we measured the distance from the witness to the place where the creature was standing. It was 37 yards. Then we measured from the ground to the white rag. It was exactly 8 feet. I was not able to interview the other witnesses. However, other people, including his next door neighbor have seen it.

Next, we followed him along a brushy trail to the place where he stood when he came upon the creature. He pointed to where it was, only 6-8 feet away. There is a big hollow in the brush at that point, and the brush grows together over the top. The ground was leaf covered. It looked like the perfect place to take a nap. Then the witness got down on his hands and knees, and acted out what the creature did, so that we would have an accurate understanding. I took some pictures of this for my files. Then we examined the pathway through the underbrush where the creature crawled away. I found three places where I could see that the toes dug in. It was plain to see where it went, and it would have been difficult for me to follow. After that, we removed the bucket and took pictures and measurements of the scuff in the dirt that he said was a hand print. It was very indistinct. It could have been a hand print, knuckle print or a knee print. It was hard to tell. He did a smart thing to protect it.

The witness had to go back to the house, as he did not have his oxygen. While he was gone, Rayn and I worked our way further through brush and through to the other side. We found no further evidence but were able to take a picture of where the creature emerged from the brush and stood up. A lucky passer-by would have seen it if there had been someone there. However, the brush is so very thick that by just ducking down, he would have vanished from view.

He described the creature as having hair he guessed to be 3-4 inches long. It was brown, with some gray mixed in. He said it reminded him of a silver-back gorilla. The top of the head looked what he termed as dome-headed. It was described as a rounded top pyramid shape. The skin color was medium brown, and looked like leather. The face was a little lighter brown. He said it was huge. The head was very large, about 16 inches from chin to top, and about 12 inches wide. He could not see the eyes clearly and said that they were all black. He described its expression as friendly and intelligent. He said there was no look of anger or threat. He expressed that he feels like he made a friend.

This is the view from the witness’ porch. The person standing at the back of the lot is in the position where the sasquatch was first seen. The distance is really only 37 yards. The white rag can be seen above my friend.

This picture shows the white rag tied to the tree at the height of the sasquatch. It was 8” tall.

This picture shows the place where the sasquatch crawled through the brush. The witness says it “slithered” on its belly. Looking closely, one can see where the toes were placed as it crawled through (arrows). The square bucket is covering what the witness says is a hand print.

This picture shows the hand print. It was not clear what it was. It could very well be a hand print, or a knee print.

Later, I was able to make contact with one of the police officers. We talked for a while about this particular incident. He remembered it just like related above. He indicated that his impression was that the witness was reporting something he truly had seen.

Now as for the deer, they are all over the place in the area. The deer are comfortable with people, and don't automatically run away like deer out in the more remote areas. If the sasquatch is getting enough to eat without eating deer, then the deer have probably learned that he is not preying on them.

Based on the evidence at the scene, and the witness’ description of what he had seen, I have no doubt that he had a close up encounter with a sasquatch. We are finding that sasquatches often will live very close, and in-among peoples dwellings if there is adequate cover for them to remain hidden during the daylight hours. We see this most often during the winter months.

About BFRO Investigator Scott Taylor:

Scott Taylor is a retired aerospace manager. He lives in Mason County, Washington. He had his first bigfoot encounter in October 2005 where he was stalked and later heard vocalizations. He attended official BFRO Expeditions in the Washington Cascades in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He also attended the 2007 BFRO Expedition in the central Oregon Cascades and the 2007 Utah Expedition in the Uinta's. He attended the 2008 and 2009 Olympic Peninsula Expeditions and co-lead the 2013 Expedition. He has participated in numerous speaking engagements over the past 17 years.

  Copyright © 2024