Geographical Index > United States > New York > Dutchess County > Report # 67425|
Submitted by witness Maxwell Wermuth on Tuesday, December 29, 2020.
Possible vocalization 4 miles north of Pawling, heard from Appalachian Trail
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
STATE: New York
COUNTY: Dutchess County
LOCATION DETAILS: Heard the vocalization while on the Appalachian Trail, heading down towards Route 22.
Around this GPS point:
Near Appalachian Trail, Pawling, NY 12564
Longitude / Latitude: 41.605115, -73.595064
NEAREST TOWN: Pawling, NY
NEAREST ROAD: Route 22
OBSERVED: On March 18th, 2018, I was hiking alone at night on the Appalachian Trail off of Route 22 in Pawling,NY. I was heading up Corbin Hill towards Cat Rocks, near West Mountain. I started just before sunset, around 7pm.
On my return trip down Corbin Hill, around 9pm, I heard a loud vocalization that I could not identify. It was a loud scream, lasting about 15 seconds. It started low-pitched as a howling "oooooh" sound, then got higher pitched as an "aaaah" sound. It didn't sound like an owl or coyote, but more like a primate. Based on my internet research, it sounded most like a gibbon's call, but deeper. I heard no further vocalizations.
I cannot confirm that what I heard was a Sasquatch, but I felt it was important to report.
ALSO NOTICED: No.
OTHER WITNESSES: No.
OTHER STORIES: I attended a BFRO expedition in a nearby area in September of 2020. My decision to attend it was mostly due to that vocalization I heard 2 years before. I learned of some sightings in this area of NY from that.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: 9pm. Dark, cold, mostly cloudy. Low wind.
ENVIRONMENT: Mixed deciduous and pine forest, up a rocky hill, overlooking a large wetland (the Swamp River).
About BFRO Investigator Matthew Moneymaker:
Matthew Moneymaker is originally from the Los Feliz District of Los Angeles, California.
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Founder of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization,1995.
- Writer and co-producer of the Discovery Channel documentary "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science", 2001.
- Co-producer of the TV Series "Mysterious Encounters" for the Outdoor Life Network (OLN Channel), 2002.
- Producer of the "2003 International Bigfoot Symposium" (Willow Creek Symposium) DVD set, 2004.
- Co-host of "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet Channel, 2010 - 2017.
- Current Director of the BFRO