DHS Squirrel
Geographical Index > United States > Texas > Rusk County > Report # 7670
Report # 7670  (Class A)
Submitted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003.
Duck hunter has encounter on Lake Cherokee.
(Show Printer-friendly Version)

YEAR: 1980

SEASON: Winter

MONTH: December

STATE: Texas

COUNTY: Rusk County

LOCATION DETAILS: Not too far from Tiawichi Creek, the western most boundary of Lake Cherokee, just south of the Gregg County Airport. It was beyond a forest of pine trees at the water's edge. There was approximately 100 feet of shoreline between the trees and the water. The closest town would be Monroe, Texas on west side of SH 322.


OBSERVED: I was duck hunting in waders at Lake Cherokee. After hunting that day, I was exiting the water onto the shore and looked to my right about 200 - 300 feet. I had that creepy feeling that I was not alone. I thought to myself that it was just a big tree stump, but it moved. I saw a large creature that was fairly tall and dark. It looked at me. It appeared to be hairy. I could clearly make out that it was not another hunter. It had hair on it - kinda long and dark. We looked at each other for what must have been 20 minutes. I think it had been looking at me before I noticed it. I could not make out any facial features. Finally, what I saw turned and started walking away from me. I stood there watching it walk along the banks of the lake. After it was pretty far away I headed back to my truck. At the back of Lake Cherokee where I was hunting there were no houses or structures back then (in 1980). I haven't been there in over 15 years. I didn't hunt at that location for quite some time. When I did, I took someone else with me. It really spooked me. I have never gone on record with this for fear of being labeled a nut.

ALSO NOTICED: It was tall and dark. It appeared to be hairy. There were no facial features that I could see. It appeared to maybe walk with a slight limp. It didn't walk fast, just a little slow. I didn't go after it. I decided at that point if it would leave me alone I'd do the same. It was a frightening experience then. I didn't hear any sounds. At other times I have heard sounds, but I just charge unknown sounds in the woods as typical sounds maybe made by normal animals.


TIME AND CONDITIONS: Between 4:00 and 4:30 pm. It was also very cold. It was December or January. Mostly cloudy.

ENVIRONMENT: Wooded and swampy.

Follow-up investigation report:

I spoke to the witness on August 8, 2002. The witness was out hunting in January of 1980 near Cherokee Lake. It was a mostly cloudy day around 4:30 in the afternoon. There was very little vegetation due to the time of the year. As he was heading out of the area he had a strange feeling of being watched and noticed an odd looking stump near the waters edge about 250-300 feet away. After he had been looking at it for a few seconds it moved. It was dark in color and while no facial features could be seen it would occasionally turn around and look at him as it ambled off to the tree line. From the distance he was at it appeared to be about 7 feet tall but it was stooped over so the exact height is hard to tell. There were no sounds or odors present at the time of the sighting. He froze at the time of the incident and could not move out of the area.

Total time of observation was about 20 minutes. As soon as it disappeared into the tree line he moved on out of the area and back to his truck. He did not go back to look for tracks or any other evidence. He felt that there was some sort of intelligence even though he could not see the eyes. The witness felt the goose bumps as he relived this experience.

TBRC Investigator

ęCopyright 1999-2002 Texas Bigfoot Research Center

  Copyright © 2024