Geographical Index > United States > Washington > Skamania County > Report # 9946
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, December 7, 2004.
Motorist Has Late Night Sighting Near Eagle Cliff
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Skamania County
LOCATION DETAILS: please do not post these on the internet.
NEAREST TOWN: eagle cliff
NEAREST ROAD: 503
OBSERVED: I was going for a late night drive. I drove up past Cougar on 503. When I hit snow on a couple of corners, I started to get a little nervous about driving up any farther but still I chose to keep going. I had been seeing animals all night so I was really keeping my eyes open. When I slowed down to turn around, my car died. While trying to start it I was looking forward and noticed a large object standing on the side of the road which looked like a large man but I couldn't tell because it was out of the reach of my headlights. When my car started up the object quickly turned and strided off into the timber. That's when I knew it wasn't just a tree or anything like that. I have been up in those parts of the woods a lot and never seen anything like that. When I saw it turn away from me I couldn't calm down. I was terrified - the hair on my neck was standing up. It was just not a normal feeling. I believe I saw a bigfoot standing in front of my car along the edge of the road.
ALSO NOTICED: a day after the incident some friends and I went back up there. It had snowed quite a bit so where I saw the object we stopped to look for tracks but saw nothing. Everything had been covered up. About a mile up the road we saw a set of tracks crossing the road but we could not tell what they were. They were very large but it also could have been boot tracks.
OTHER WITNESSES: I was alone. I like to drive in the hills - it helps me to relax. It wasn't my first time just driving around up there but it was definitely the first time I had been up there so late by myself. I am scared to go back up there by myself.
OTHER STORIES: I have heard of sightings and tracks being found around this area but nothing specific.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: it was about 1:30 in the morning but it seemed to be really light because of the clear night and bright moon. The snow seemed to light up the area.
ENVIRONMENT: open old growth timber, snowy and snowing
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Tom Yamarone:
I spoke with the witness by phone and have the following to add:
- His car was stalled for less than a minute and he noticed the creature when the engine started.
- Although the illumination did not allow him a clear view of the subject, he did see defined movement of the legs striding and the arms swinging as it turned and walked into the forest.
- He had seen numerous deer and elk on this drive in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.
- The witness returned to the site 2 days later with several friends. There were track-like impressions but they could not discern any details due to snow accumulation since the sighting.
- Judging from where the creature was spotted in front of some fir trees and up a slight (5’) embankment, he estimated the height at 6 ½ to 7 feet.
- He observed the subject for 20 seconds in dim lighting conditions but at a very close distance. (approx. 20 yards)
- As he mentioned in his narrative, the encounter was unsettling for the witness and he departed the area immediately. He had no desire to return alone that evening nor since then.
- He is very familiar with this area as he spent a lot of time in these forests as a youth with his family on camping trips and day hikes.
- 4 years ago, they found footprints in this area.