Geographical Index > United States > Minnesota > Carlton County > Report # 27991|
Submitted by witness on Wednesday, July 14, 2010.
Daylight sighting by motorist at railroad crossing outside Cloquet
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
COUNTY: Carlton County
NEAREST TOWN: Cloquet
NEAREST ROAD: 210
OBSERVED: I am submitting this report on behalf of the witness. The witness is an elderly man who does not have access to a computer. I recorded my interview with him and am posting an excerpt from that interview here in lieu of a written report.
In summary, the witness was driving home around 9:00am. He started crossing the railroad tracks when he noticed a dark animal sitting near the tracks about a thousand feet away from him. He watched it for about ten minutes when it got up "like a man" and walked into the forest.
Click here to listen to the Interview
OTHER WITNESSES: None
OTHER STORIES: His bird feeder went completely missing a few weeks prior to this sighting.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: 9:00am, Sunny
ENVIRONMENT: Railroad tracks in a mixed forest with bogs
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Andy P.:
I have the following to add to this report:
- The animal was over six feet tall, all black, and heavily built. The hair was long down the back of the animal.
- He watched it for ten minutes as it sat on its haunches near the tracks. He felt it was nervous of him, but not afraid.
- The encounter ended when it fluidly stood up and walked away to the north, entering the forest.
- He was not close enough to see clear facial details, but he is certain that is was not a man and not a bear.
The witness has spent his whole life in the area and knows a great deal about Minnesota wildlife. I feel he is a very credible and honest witness.
About BFRO Investigator Andy P.:
Andy P. lives in Minnesota. He is a professional writer with a degree in English and Biology. His interest dates back to his first sighting in 1985.
He attended the following BFRO expeditions:
- 2006 Wisconsin I
- 2007 Michigan
- 2008 Michigan
- 2008 Minnesota (private)
- 2009 Wisconsin
- 2009 Minnesota (organizer)